What happens if you break a fluorescent bulb?
Compact fluorescent light bulbs (CFLs) contain small amounts of mercury. A small percentage of this mercury can be released into the air if the bulbs are broken. Mercury also can be released into the environment if bulbs are not recycled properly. The amount of mercury in a CFL may be up to about 5 milligrams (mg).
Are fluorescent light bulbs toxic when broken?
The tiny amount of mercury you’re exposed to when breaking a CFL is extremely unlikely to cause any ill effects, noticeable or otherwise. But how do you minimize even this tiny amount of risk? Remove children and pets from the room, and then clean up the broken bulb as quickly as possible.
Can I get mercury poisoning from a broken light bulb?
If you break a mercury thermometer or light bulb, a small amount of liquid mercury may spill out. … However, this small amount of mercury is extremely unlikely to cause problems for your health.
Is it safe to smash fluorescent tubes?
Yes, but only if broken so it’s important that you handle flu tubes safely. Fluorescent tubes contain mercury, which can be dangerous if released so be careful not to break them. … Therefore, fluorescent tubes should always be disposed of properly.
How much mercury is in a 4 foot fluorescent bulb?
The average mercury content of a 4-foot-long bulb manufactured today is approximately 12 mg.
Do all fluorescent lights have mercury?
On average, CFLs contain about four milligrams of mercury sealed within the glass tubing. By comparison, older thermometers contain about 500 milligrams of mercury – an amount equal to the mercury in over 100 CFLs.
Is it bad to breathe in light bulb?
Once inhaled, the mercury vapor can damage the central nervous system, kidneys, and liver. … These toxic effects are why any mercury spill should be handled carefully, including one that results from a CFL breaking.