How do I fix Spotlight search on my Mac?
Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Spotlight. Click the Privacy tab. Drag the disk or folder that you want to index again to the list of locations that Spotlight is prevented from searching.
Why is my Spotlight search not working on my Mac?
Spotlight Search Not Working on MacBook: Check Your SpotLight Preferences. It is also important that you confirm your Spotlight Search preferences. Click on the Apple Menu at the top and choose System Preferences > Spotlight. … Quit System Preferences and Spotlight will start re-indexing this folder/drive.
Why is my search function not working Mac?
When the Find command stops working properly, usually it means that the contents of your Mac need to be re-indexed. Fortunately, it’s a pretty easy process. Start by opening your System Preferences, then select Spotlight. Click on the privacy tab.
How do you restart Spotlight on Mac?
Restart All Spotlight Processes
- Go to Activity Monitor: Open Finder and select Go from the top menu bar. Select Utilities from the dropdown. Double-click on Activity Monitor in the Finder window.
- Type Spotlight in the search field.
- Select all spotlight related processes and click Stop (Stop sign with an X in it).
Why is my outlook search not working on Mac?
Make sure that you’re Outlook Profile or any of its parent’s folder aren’t in the privacy tab of Spotlight. If your Outlook Profile or any of its parent folder are displayed in the Spotlight privacy tab then Spotlight won‘t be able to search. So, remove them from the privacy tab of Spotlight and try again.
How do you Spotlight search on a Mac?
Search for something
- On your Mac, click the Spotlight icon (if shown) in the menu bar, or press Command-Space bar or press. (if available in the row of function keys on the keyboard). …
- In the search field, type what you’re looking for—results appear as you type. …
- In the results, do any of the following:
How can I tell if my Mac is indexing?
OS X tries to help you out by telling you how much time is left in the indexing operation—just click the Spotlight icon in the top right corner of the menu bar, and you’ll see both a progress indicator and a written estimate of the time remaining (“About two hours remaining”).
How do I fix my search engine on my Mac?
In the Safari app on your Mac, use Search preferences to change how you search the web and how search results are presented. To change these preferences, choose Safari > Preferences, then click Search. Choose the search engine you want Safari to use for web searches.
Why won’t my Mac search my external hard drive?
Start with the basics:
- Check whether the drive is properly plugged in. …
- Faulty cable. …
- Damaged USB or flash drive port. …
- Reboot your Mac. …
- Incorrectly formatted drive. …
- Mac not formatted to display external drives on the desktop. …
- Reset NVRAM. …
- Check Apple’s Disk Utility to see if an external drive is showing up.
Why can’t I search in my Mac Mail?
You may need to sync the mailboxes on your Mac with those on the mail server. Choose Mailbox > Synchronize > [account]. Mail may be excluded from Spotlight searching. To check, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Spotlight , then click Search Results.